Thursday, April 18, 2013

Week 2 Reflection

I am loving reading Leading with Passion and Knowledge by Nancy Dana.  This book is really challenging me in my learning about action research.  The idea of action research was new to me before I started this class, however after reading and reflecting on some of the ideas from this book, I understand why it is so important.'

One of the things I find interesting is how easy it is to create an action research plan for any area of needed growth in a school.  Upon reading the different questions and ideas posed in the book, I started thinking over my last 9 years of teaching.  I have been amazed at how some the ideas that I have read about have also been processes that have been similarly implemented at my school.  For example:  Thursday School which is much like the Friday School mentioned in the Dana text.  I have been reflecting on some of the decisions I have seen my principals make and realize that they used the action research model to get to the change that was being made.

In this week's videos, the word that stuck out the most to be was practical.  I thought it was very interesting (and useful) that Dr. Lewis made it a point to express the importance of our action research plan being practical.  In order to apply our learning to our students', our plan must be one that benefits our students at some level while helping them be successful educationally.

No comments:

Post a Comment